Hamana sits in a lovely valley that can be seen in panorama from the village of Sofar above. Once active in the silk industry, its huge 19th century silk factory has been converted into a school. You can reach Hamana from Mdeirej on the Damascus Road or from Ras el Metn.
Three km to the north is Falougha, another traditional summer resort, where you can see a 19th century Serail with a splendid door that combines oriental and Italian styles.
Approaching Hazmiyeh from Beirut look for a small Ottoman cemetery on the left. Here are two funerary structures, known as the "Qabr el-Wali" or the tomb of the governor. Two of the eight Ottoman governors of Mount Lebanon are buried here: Franco Pacha (1883-1892).
In the valley east of Hazmiyeh are the remains of a Roman Aqueduct. Originally the aqueduct crossed this tributary of the Beirut River for a distance of 240 meters and although the main span has disappeared, substantial sections can be seen on both banks. The aqueduct is locally known as Qanater Zubeida. Perhaps the name can be identified with the celebrated Zubaida-Zainab-Zenobia of Palmyra, who may have built it, or with Zubaidah, the wife of the Caliph Haroun Al-Rashid.
Interestingly, another Roman aqueduct on the Nahr Ibrahim (ancient Adonis river) bears the same name.
The sudden dramatic height of Mount Lebanon gives Beit Mery, at 800 Meters , spectacular views of the Beirut peninsula and large sections of the coast. This is a popular resort with good restaurants, entertainment and hotels ready to receive visitors. The town is also the scene of an annual winter cultural festival that features international drama and dance groups as well as orchestras and chamber ensembles.
In the center of town, a signposted road to the right leads to the Maronite Monastery of Saint John the Baptist (known as deir el Qalaa) and Beit Mery's Roman and Byzantine remains. This huge site, on a strategic location overlooking Beirut, is on three levels. At the top are the ruins of a Roman temple to the important local god Baal Marqod which has a church built on part of its foundations. The church, dedicated to Saint John the Baptist was constructed in 1750 and has apparently been rebuilt a number of times since then. The inscription aboe the main door bears the date 1768, the year the church was first rebuilt. The old church is incorporated into the present early 20th century structure.
The temple itself, probably dating to the first century AD, has masonry intact up to three meters. Three of the six columns are still standing, although not at their original height.
A short walk down the hill leads to the site of a small second century AD temple to the Goddess Juno. A monumental doorway still stands amid a jumble of ancient stones, some with latin inscriptions. This doorway was probably the start of a processional path between the two temples.
Below the Juno temple is an extensive area of scattered ruins. Of particular note is the mosaic floor of a 6th century Byzantine church with one of the reused temple columns in place. Nearby is a remarkably well preserved public bath. In one of its rooms it is possible to observe the heating system through a hole broken in the floor. The hypocaust tiles, used to conduct heat, are all in place. Once a Roman-Byzantine settlement, the entire site is littered with remains of more temples, a second bath and a colonaded street.
Broumana, which lies on a hilltop overlooking the sea, combines the charms of a traditional Lebanese summer town with big city variety.
Here you'll find a number of old houses dating from the time of Abillama. Emirs in the 18th and 19th centuries, while north of the village stands the huge Maronite monastery of Deir Mar Chaaya, built in 1700. An international tennis tournament takes place each summer at the Broummana High School, a Quaker institution
These two small ski resorts on the flanks of Mount Sannine at a height of about 2.000 meters share a reputation for splendid scenery and fine snow. Both are developing their facilities to include more ski lifts and tows, as well as hotels, restaurants, shops and other amenities. Although Zaarour is a private club, arrangements can be made to accommodate foreign visitors.
In summer rustic restaurants known for their panoramic views and good food are open for business in this area of Sannine.